Autore Topic: Un articolo che ho trovato  (Letto 1695 volte)

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
Un articolo che ho trovato
« il: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:26:40 pm »
http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=11568681

Citazione
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 12:33 AM
Statewide survey shows "ball tapping" problem widespread

It's a disturbing game with devastating consequences, and a new WTHR survey suggests it is rampant in Indiana schools.

"Ball tapping" is the act of intentionally hitting or kicking a male in the genitals. Earlier this month, an Eyewitness News investigation showed the game has become commonplace in some area schools, resulting in serious injuries for students.

As part of the investigation, WTHR also conducted a statewide survey of school nurses. The results are in, and they show the problem of ball tapping is more common and widespread than many school officials had realized.

"New perspective"

School nurses from 163 Indiana schools participated in the anonymous survey, and 33% of those nurses said they're aware of ball tapping happening at their school within the past twelve months.

But a closer look at the statistics shows the problem is much more serious in some schools than in others.

23% of school nurses who work at the elementary level say they've seen or heard of ball tapping at their school. That number nearly doubles in high schools, where 43% of school nurses say they've seen it.

And in middle schools, 62% of school nurses said they're aware of students engaged in ball tapping.

"I would have expected it to be a low number," said Mary Conway, president of the Indiana Association of School Nurses. "I would not have expected [school nurses] to have had much experience with it at all … because I think it's something most kids won't talk about with a nurse. I'm very surprised by this whole issue and it's given me a new perspective."

Among the 72 middle school and high school nurses who participated in WTHR's survey, 50% said they had seen students who came to the school clinic seeking assistance related to an incident of ball tapping. Half of those nurses also reported they had observed the problem several (more than two) times each school year, and about 10% said it happens at their school on a daily or weekly basis.

Some nurses offered comments with their survey responses. A sample of those comments provides insight into what those nurses are dealing with:

* "This is not a new situation. It has popped up periodically in our school system from year to year. Students seem to think it is "funny" or "harmless". We have gone to a great length to educate our students (esp. middle school aged students) that this is not acceptable conduct and that it can result in horrible injury. It seems to be a middle grade mentality type of thing. We have issues with both boys "tapping" other boys, and girls "tapping" boys because it gives an immediate reaction."
    * "I have had on occasion had a student come in complaining of pain in that area, and never a reasonable explanation of why he hurts in that area. I am better informed to possibly identify that this is taking place."
    * "I have seen it done both maliciously and just as guys goofing around. I heard from one student that he had to have one testicle surgically removed after being kicked in his genitals during summer school. Our school may treat this as an assault if a student or family complains that it is done in a malicious manner. It is probably more often overlooked as horseplay."
    * "I had a case early this school year of an injured boy, with that type injury, but it was claimed to be accidental & no adults witnessed it. Now, I wonder."
    * "We had a local male pediatrician talk to the boys about this last year and we have seen a dramatic decrease in incidence of this behavior since then. He talked specifically about the physical harm that occurs and it was very effective. I would recommend a similar discussion at other schools experiencing this problem."

"Just want to fall and cry"

Jake Arend doesn't need survey results to convince him ball tapping is a serious problem.

Classmates began hitting him in the groin when he was in sixth grade and it continued for years.

"I was just the scrawny kid everybody picked on to make themselves look better," Arend said. "If you get hit in that area, you just want to fall and cry, but I tried not to."

By the time Jake got to Danville High School, he says he was being ball tapped every week – sometimes even three or four times a day.

"Sometimes it would be just the flick of a wrist, and there was one time I actually got hit in the area with a socket wrench," he recalled. "When I got hit with that, I actually just hit the ground and just laid there in the fetal position for five to ten minutes for the pain to go away, then I got up and went to class."

Jake never told his parents and he never told his teachers, fearing the bullies at school would hit him ever harder if they got in trouble.

"I just thought 'It's pain. I'll deal with it,'" said Arend.

When Jake graduated in May 2009, he thought all that pain would be a thing of the past. It was just getting started.

Emergency surgery

In late October, Jake was rushed to Hendricks Regional Hospital in Danville where doctors performed an emergency operation. Years of enduring ball tapping had finally taken its toll. Undetected scar tissue had completely sealed off Jake's urinary tract, resulting in horrifying pain.

"It was a pain like I've never felt before. It was like taking a knife and just jamming it down in your stomach and dragging it all the way down through your genital area," he said. "The urologist said the signs can go undetected for years until it hits you like it hit me."

Doctors placed a catheter in Jake's urethra and told him he will need another operation to fix all the damage caused by repeated blows to the groin.

For Jake's father, that recent trip to the emergency room was the first time he had ever heard of ball tapping. "I never in a million years would have thought this was happening to him," said Eddie Arend. "Evidently it's happening at a lot of schools. It's not just his school."

School nurses confirm that's true.

"A real wakeup call"

"It's a more serious problem than what I had imagined," Conway said. "I had no idea the kids were that violent with it. Watching your video, I was appalled and the survey is somewhat surprising."

Conway says the Eyewitness News investigation and survey should be "a real wakeup call" to schools and school nurses across Indiana. She says the IASN board of directors will further research the issue because Conway believes more education and awareness is needed for teachers, administrators and school nurses to help protect students. 52% of school nurses who completed the 13 Investigates survey said they had never heard of ball tapping prior to learning of WTHR's investigation.

"I'm surprised nothing has really been said about it," admitted Conway. "I think any issue that impacts health in a permanent way needs to be addressed."

Jake's father says parents must address it, too.

"A lot of times as parents, do we forget to talk to our own children? I guess we do," he said. "There's nothing I wouldn't do to take away his pain. I just never knew it was happening and the sad truth is, [Jake] has to pay the rest of his life for this."

It's a costly and terribly painful lesson Jake wants other students to remember.

"If you're in school right now and you're dealing with it, don't be afraid to say something," Arend said. "Ask teachers, go to counselors, ask the nurses … I wish I told somebody."

For advice about how to talk to your kids about ball tapping, see WTHR's original investigation.

You can see results of WTHR's survey here.

Ecco che succede a rappresentare la violenza ai testicoli come divertente per anni ed anni in tv. E le statistiche sorprendentemente alte sono state fatte chiedendo alle infermiere delle scuole che sapranno si e no un caso su 10.

Il 10% delle infermiere ha detto che ogni giorno c'è un tizio ricoverato per un colpo ai testicoli nella scuola.
« Ultima modifica: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:41:41 pm da nonmorto »

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
Re: Un articolo che ho trovato
« Risposta #1 il: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:43:23 pm »
Prima intendevo scuola media, 11-14 anni se è come in Italia.

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
« Risposta #2 il: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:47:45 pm »
Un altro articolo

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11452052

Citazione
Posted: Nov 05, 2009 9:50 PM

Disturbing Game. Painful Lesson.

Dylan, a 13-year-old honor student from Johnson County, does not want you to know his real name.

He's terribly embarrassed about what happened to him at school.

But Dylan does want you to know his painful story, and he recently came to WTHR studios to share it.

"This boy, he just walked up to me and just hit me," Dylan said. "I fell to the floor. I was crying it hurt so bad because he actually punched me."

It's where Dylan was punched that might surprise you.

It's a topic many school officials don't want to talk about.

Most parents have no idea it's happening.

And the images are painful to watch.

Because some students are being severely injured, 13 Investigates is tackling this sensitive issue to help warn both students and parents about a disturbing game taking place in many area schools.

"Happening all the time"

The game involves hitting or kicking male students in the groin - often very hard - and school officials say it has a name.

"The boys call it ‘ball tapping,' explains Bev Richardson, a school nurse at North Putnam Middle School. "I see it and I can't believe what they do to each other sometimes."

Richardson knows all about this problem. She says not long ago, ball tapping at her school was out of control.

"The boys were saying it is happening all the time... [being] hit in the testicles. I was seeing at least four students a week with this happening," Richardson said. "The pain gets so bad, they just can't stand it, so that's when they come for medical attention."

At times, she admits, that medical attention is more than a school nurse can provide.

"I remember one boy, he was in agony when he came to me," Richardson recalls. "When he mentioned blood in the urine, I knew there was something really going on because that's not a typical thing I would be told by a student."

That student was taken to a hospital where doctors diagnosed him with a severe injury. Medical experts say the problem is very real.

Devastating injuries

"We've actually had a child here at Riley Hospital that required surgical excision of the testicle after that happened," said Martin Kaefer, a pediatric urologist at Indiana's largest children's hospital. "The cases we generally will see are the kids in which they've taken a big hit from another child snapping their wrist, hitting the genital area of the male. Those are pretty big injuries."

Kaefer sees the impact of ball tapping, and he says the name is very misleading.

"The term ‘tapping' makes it sound very benign, as if it's just a little tap and that's far from the truth," Kaefer said. "If you fracture the testicle and literally rupture it, that results in pretty significant short-term and long-term problems, and we've seen this at Riley Hospital. It's really quite devastating."

The doctor says even minor injuries associated with ball tapping include terrible pain, which may subside after ten to twenty minutes. Continued pain, difficulty urinating or blood in the urine can be warning signs of a much more serious injury involving not just the testicles, but also damage to the urethra. Kaefer says those injuries require very complicated surgery -- something he's had to perform even on a kindergarten student victimized at school.

"That's for a five-year-old, and that can affect fertility and passage of urine - let alone the physical impact of a child having that part of their body operated on as such a young age," the doctor explained. "I would say it's a pretty bullying action to hurt a child in that fashion."

Caught on video

While ball tapping often is intended as a form of bullying and intimidation, that is not how it's characterized on the internet, where videotaped ball tapping incidents are publicly posted and often glorified.

Dozens of videos on YouTube show youngsters being ambushed with unsuspecting victims falling to the ground in agony while perpetrators and bystanders laugh in the background. Other videos show groups of boys engaged in a ball tapping game, where the goal is to hit opponents in the groin before they hit you. In online discussions, kids refer to the videos as "cool" and "hilarious."

Victims like Dylan see it differently.

"It's not just like horseplay or playing around," he said with tears in his eyes. "It's serious."

Richardson agrees.

"When they come to me, they're doubled over and crying," she said. "It takes a while before that pain goes away enough that they can go back to class ... and there's really nothing I can do for them. I've tried ice packs, but it doesn't really help."

Boys being boys?

Terry Tippin believes ball tapping cannot be ignored.

When he became principal at North Putnam Middle School three years ago, Tippin was shocked to learn just how much ball tapping was taking place. The first time he saw it, the principal decided to call in police.

"They treated it as an assault case. The prosecutor interviewed the parents and the students, and once that word got out, I really haven't had any trouble since," Tippin said. "I just won't tolerate somebody putting their hands on somebody else."

But that doesn't happen in all schools.

Dylan, who was ball tapped earlier this year in a locker room after his sixth-grade gym class, says the classmate who hit him in the groin received no punishment.

"The school waited two days before they even called me and told me about it," said his mother. "They told me it happens a lot and it's just boys being boys, but it's really assault on a student. If that boy hit my son in the mouth, he would have gotten an out-of-school suspension. I don't know why this is any different."

Keeping quiet

Dylan's story is not isolated.

For this report, 13 Investigates talked with students from eight metro-area middle and high schools. Students at six of those schools said they had personally witnessed ball tapping during school hours. They also said most of the incidents go unreported by students.

Richardson says that's concerning, but not surprising.

"A lot of times they're embarrassed by it because it hurts and they can't help but cry, and then they're crying in front of all their classmates," she said. "They need to tell someone that this happening to them ... and most parents don't know it's happening."

How do you find out if it's happening?

Simply ask your kids.

Yes, it might seem like a difficult topic of conversation, but Richardson says it doesn't have to be.

Time to talk

"Ask your child: 'Has this ever happened to you?' or 'Have you seen it happen?' or maybe a little more generic 'Do you know anything about this?'" she suggests. "If it's going on at school, they're pretty willing to talk about it - once someone else brings it up."

Kaefer recommends parents begin the dialogue early.

"Repetition and starting early is important because, especially the younger ones, they don't always understand the impact of what they're doing," he said.

The doctor says it's a conversation he's started with his own five children.

"I tell them 'hitting in the genital region in particular is completely inappropriate' and also explain to them in the same breath 'the same is true about your back and kidneys.' Don't simply focus on that one area so it's not an uncomfortable conversation for the parent. Say 'these are the areas that can really get damaged and if they do, it's not just that it hurts right away. You can hurt another child forever."

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
« Risposta #3 il: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:54:47 pm »
Anche in Italia ne parlano, però solo se succede ad un immigrato, quella è una cosa grave perché non è violenza contro un maschio e basta ma è razzismo, vuoi mettere, quella si che è violenza.

Quando degli italiano stuprano una immigrata però non si parla di razzismo ma di violenza contro le donne... bho...

E come al solito i giornali italiani riportano casi isolati di fenomeno che avvengono almeno 100 volte al giorno, casi isolati a senso unico per dare un'idea particolare di come funziona il mondo. Vorrei far notare la differenza tra gli articoli americani e questo italiano, gli americani riportano statistiche e poi alcuni casi isolati per far capire le dinamiche e che le statistiche poi son persone vere, i giornali italiani riportano solo casi isolati nel dettaglio, selezionandoli bene prima, in modo tale che chi legge a casa si fa la sua idea... basata sulla selezione.

Ecco qui un giornalista che ci spiega che non c'è un attacco contro i maschi, ma contro gli immigrati, ce lo spiega non dicendocelo, riportando una notizia con imparzialità.

http://quotidianonet.ilsole24ore.com/2009/05/28/183681-picchiano_sangue_compagno_dell_asilo.shtml

Citazione
UN EPISODIO INDEGNO/ BABY RAZZISTI NEL MILANESE
Picchiano a sangue compagno dell'asilo
'Sei caffelatte' : è giù calci e pugni

Il bambino, che ha solo quattro anni, è figlio di una italiana e di un domenicano. Il piccolo, già più volte insultato dagli altri compagni della matern, è stato aggredito. Un calcio l'ha raggiunto ai genitali e la piccola vittima è finita in sala operatoria all'ospedale Fatebenefratelli

Milano, 28 maggio 2009 - Un bimbo di quattro anni, figlio di un immigrato dominicano e di un’italiana, è stato preso a calci nei testicoli da un gruppo di compagni perchè è un «caffellatte». È accaduto, in un asilo di un piccolo comune della Lombardia, tra Milano e Como. Il bambino, ricoverato al Fatebenefratelli, ospedale pediatrico del capoluogo lombardo, è stato operato e i genitori hanno denunciato ai Carabinieri la scuola e il gruppo di piccoli razzisti.

Dallo scorso settembre, al rientro delle vacanze, tre compagni della sua classe l’hanno preso di mira proprio per il colore della pelle. La madre ha capito subito che c’era qualcosa di strano: «Piangeva e non voleva più andare all’asilo. Diceva che i suoi amici non gli volevano più bene, che gli facevano i dispetti, ma all’inizio non ha detto che lo insultavano per via della pelle», ha riferito ai medici dell’ospedale milanese. «Gli dicevo di raccontare tutto alle maestre, convinta che gli attacchi sarebbero finiti. E invece?».

Il gruppo dei baby razzisti si è fatto più numeroso. Gli insulti, sempre più pesanti, rivolti anche al papà straniero. Un mese fa il pestaggio. Sono volati schiaffi, calci, pugni. Uno l’ha centrato ai genitali. Le maestre hanno chiamato l’ambulanza ed il bimbo è stato ricoverato al Fatebenefratelli, nel reparto di Luca Bernardo (il primario), che dirige il primo centro studi italiano contro il bullismo. «Bambini così piccoli non si rendono conto di quanto siano gravi certe parole - dice Bernardo - Però si rendono conto del male che fanno e il danno che procurano va punito».

« Ultima modifica: Giugno 02, 2010, 23:00:36 pm da nonmorto »

Offline Animus

• Veterano
    • uomini3000
« Risposta #4 il: Giugno 02, 2010, 22:56:06 pm »
Prima intendevo scuola media, 11-14 anni se è come in Italia.

C'hanno dei padri coglioni.
 :hmm:
Ti sentirai più forte, un uomo vero, oh si , parlando della casa da comprare, eggià, e lei ti premierà, offrendosi con slancio.  L'avrai, l'avrai, con slancio e con amore … (Renato Zero)

Ha crocifissi falci in pugno e bla bla bla fratelli (Roberto Vecchioni)

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
« Risposta #5 il: Giugno 08, 2010, 12:43:53 pm »
Pare che questo "gioco" sia diventato il fenomeno del momento sui giornali americani, a quanto pare non sono solo i giornali italiani che ogni tanto prendono un fenomeno che dura da 50 anni e lo riportano come una cosa che succede solo ora o come un fenomeno del momento.

Ecco alcuni articoli scritti il 28 maggio su vari giornali

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/sack-tapping-boys-punch-testicles-game/story?id=10762563
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/05/28/2010-05-28_sack_tapping__boys_punching_classmates_in_the_groin__leads_to_serious_injury_sur.html
http://www.slate.com/id/2255927/

C'è una pagina della wikipedia, creata poco dopo questi articoli, il primo edit è del primo giugno 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_tapping
Tanto per dire quanto i media influenzano le persone.

Anche se il fenomeno del momento è inventato per una volta si parla di abuso testicolare come una cosa seria invece che una cosa buffa e si dice che è un fenomeno diffuso.
« Ultima modifica: Giugno 08, 2010, 12:59:36 pm da nonmorto »

Offline Warlordmaniac

• WikiQM
  • Veterano
« Risposta #6 il: Giugno 08, 2010, 17:37:18 pm »
Nonmorto, ti chiedo di modificare il titolo del thread dato che questo non può venire trovato in una ricerca. Dovresti renderlo ricercabile.

Offline nonmorto

• WikiQM
  • Affezionato
« Risposta #7 il: Giugno 10, 2010, 12:49:53 pm »
Nonmorto, ti chiedo di modificare il titolo del thread dato che questo non può venire trovato in una ricerca. Dovresti renderlo ricercabile.

Credo che solo gli amministratori possano farlo, a me il pulsante edit dopo qualche minuto che ho fatto il post scompare.